It’s no secret that mobile usage is steadily increasing, and creating a mobile optimized website is no longer a “nice to have”. Consumers increasingly rely on the mobile web to research and make purchases, which makes it more important than ever for companies to have an effective mobile presence that adheres to core usability and design principles and best practices.
Google conducted a study that was held through 119 hour-long in-person usability sessions with participants in Chicago and San Francisco to help define mobile web design tips for businesses who want to redesign their website for the mobile world.
Below you will find key insights, best practices and core principles for mobile website design to help create a user-centered mobile experience that increases conversion and user satisfaction.
Tips For Homepage and Site Navigation Design
Most users will land on your homepage on their mobile device, which makes it the initial engagement point for your mobile users. What you put on your home page and how it’s structured is key.
- Keep Calls-To-Action Front And Center
- Keep Menus Short And Sweet
- Make It Easy To Get Back To The Homepage
- Don’t Let Promotions Steal The Show
Tips For Site Search
Site search plays a huge role in mobile website design. When searching for your products or services, most users will default to using your websites search functionality instead of its navigation structure.
- Make Site Search Visible
- Ensure Site Search Results Are Relevant
- Implement Filters To Improve Site Search Usability
- Guide Users To Better Site Search Results
Tips For Online Forms
Forms are the achilles heel on most websites. They are difficult to complete and in many cases are not optimized for mobile use.
- Streamline Information Entry
- Choose The Simplest Input Method For Each Task
- Provide A Visual Calendar When Selecting Dates
- Minimize Form Errors With Labeling And Real-Time Validation
- Design Efficient Forms
Read more at Effective Mobile Web Design Best Practices For 2020